If they didn't want us to add bacon to mac & cheese they shouldn't have made it so easy to crumble.
If you love cheese this recipe is for you. If you dream of crispy bacon this dish is fire. If you don't like either... we can't be friends! If If your looking for a meal the whole family will devour look no further. This gooey delight will have them begging for more.
Move over Kraft because its time for a Mac & Cheese glow-up!
Smoked Bacon Mac Recipe
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 24 oz of shredded cheese
- 1.5 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- Pepper to taste
- 1 lb bacon
- Cooking spray
1) Cook macaroni as directed - Set aside.
2) Melt ¼ cup butter in a saucepan over medium heat, add chopped garlic. Sauté until fragrant.
3) Whisk in ¼ cup of flour & cook for 2 minutes until bubbly.
4) Whisk in 3 cups of milk & 1 cup of heavy whipping cream. Bring to boil. Cook for 5 minutes until it thickens.
5) Add cream cheese. Stir until smooth. If your sauce is too thick add in more milk until it becomes a creamy sauce consistency.
6) Combine cheese sauce & shredded cheese in a frypan over low heat. Mix until melted.
7) Heat smoker to 225F & clean grates with your Great Scrape.
8) Spray the aluminum tray with cooking spray.
9) Add cooked macaroni & cheese sauce. Mix until the noodles are evenly coated.
10) Place on the smoker in indirect heat for 30 minutes.
11) Melt ¼ cup butter in a saucepan. Once melted add ground mustard, mix in breadcrumbs.
12) Cook bacon to a crisp & crumble for topping.
13) Top the mac & cheese with breadcrumbs & bacon. Finish on the smoker for 15 minutes.
14) Once the top has crisped slightly your dish is ready to serve.
**Add some fresh jalapenos to spice things up a bit if you dare!