Cowabunga, Dude! It's National Pizza Day.
February 9th or literally any day of the year is a good day for some zza. If you have an affinity for this Italian staple you have likely had all the classics. While you can't go wrong with a Pepperoni or Sausage standard. National Pizza Day is a time to own your inner TMNT!
No... I'm not suggesting a heaping slice of Jelly Bean and Sausage... calm down Michelangelo. Bacon and Basil on the other hand is a great option for such a special occasion.
Bacon Basil Pizza Recipe
- 1/4 lb bacon
- 1 lb pizza dough
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese - shredded
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- Fresh basil leaves
1) Dice the bacon into 1/4-inch pieces.
2) Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the bacon. Cook until crisp. Drain on a paper-towel lined plate.
3) Using your Great Scrape thoroughly clean the grill grates.
4) Heat a grill to medium heat. (All grill temperatures cook differently. With the lid closed, should show a temperature of about 400F.) Grease the grates well.
5) Spray a piece of foil with nonstick cooking spray. Roll the pizza dough out on top of the foil. Use the foil and carefully flip the dough over onto the grill, removing the foil.
6) Close the lid and grill until the bottom is browned and lightly charred, 3-5 minutes.
7) Using tongs or a spatula, flip the crust over. Drizzle the olive oil over the crust and layer the mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, bacon and then basil leaves. Close the grill and continue to cook until the cheese is melted, another 3-4 minutes.
8) Carefully remove from the grill and let sit for a couple minutes before slicing and serving.
Looking for even more adventurous toppings? Try your hand at some of these outrageous toppings, but don't say we didn't warn you - Every Pizza The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Ordered: https://libertycruise.nyc/packages/every-pizza-the-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-ordered